The new 6th edition of Core Review for Critical Care Nursing helps readers assess and build their knowledge of critical care nursing as they prepare for the certification exam. The book consists of three 200-question sample examinations that provide extensive practice and review key content. An in-depth rationale, complete with references, is included for each question. Written under the authority of the American Association for Critical-Care Nurses (AACN), this book is an ideal study tool to facilitate preparation for critical care nursing certification.
- Based on Core Curriculum for Critical Care Nursing, 6th Edition, the review is designed to follow along with the core text.
- Three separate sample examinations each address the complete range of important areas in critical care nursing and challenge readers’ mastery of the essential knowledge base in the specialty.
- Answers are provided for each question, accompanied by rationales and references, to assist readers in building their knowledge.
- Each examination mirrors the certification examination content, multiple-choice question format, and content distribution, giving readers realistic practice for the examination.
- Three additional online sample examinations give users extra practice.
- Contains a review of the synergy model, including Professional Care and Ethical Practice.
- Contains a review of the AHRQ and JCAHO evidence-based practice guidelines that are incorporated in Core Curriculum for Critical Care Nursing, 6th Ed.
I bought several items to study for the CCRN. I found the CD for this book (it comes with it) to be the most helpful part of my preparation for the test. Since AACN puts this out, I assumed the practice test questions would be more indicative of what I would find on the actual CCRN test and this turned out to be correct. I highly recommend using the CD for most of your practice question review. The rationale section teaches you how AACN wants you to answer these questions. I passed with an overall score of 89% and scored a 100% on many sections with 95% on cardiac and over 90% on pulmonary.
I also used the Pass CCRN materials and found the review book to have way too much information than necessary. I thought the CD portion was very helpful, but the practice questions were a lot harder than what you’ll find on the actual test. It’s a great resource to have on hand, but I’d recommend you invest in a good review series like a DVD review from Laura Gasparis or David Woodruff’s series ([...]). I used Woodruff’s series mainly for the bulk of the review. He has an iPod series that has all the basic information you need to pass the test while Pass CCRN is a complete comprehensive review of topics that will never show up on the CCRN. I usually recommend to friends that they get an overall review like Gasparis or Woodruff, and this AACN book with the CD to practice questions. Good luck!
Product Details :
- Series: Alspach, AACN Certification and Core Review for High Acuity and Critical Care
- Paperback: 192 pages
- Publisher: Saunders; 6 edition (July 9, 2007)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1416035923
- ISBN-13: 978-1416035923
- Product Dimensions: 0.5 x 7.4 x 10.1 inches