Bioethics: Principles, Issues, and Cases, Second Edition, explores the philosophical, medical, social, and legal aspects of key bioethical issues. Opening with a thorough introduction to ethics, bioethics, and moral reasoning, it then covers influential moral theories and the criteria for evaluating them. Integrating eighty-five readings–thirteen of them new to this edition–numerous cases, and abundant pedagogical tools, the book addresses the most provocative and controversial topics in bioethics.
Updated throughout, the second edition incorporates new information on justice, health care, and health insurance reform along with more coverage of issues related to race and culture and of the moral challenges facing nurses and other health care professionals. It also offers additional step-by-step guidance on how to identify and evaluate moral arguments in real-world contexts, with accompanying exercises and answers in an appendix.
* “Classic Case Files” describe landmark cases that shaped the debate, while news-making “Cases for Evaluation” encourage students to form their own opinions
* Various text boxes: “In Depth” boxes contain additional material, illustrations, or analyses, much of it “ripped from the headlines”; “Fact File” boxes provide statistics on the social, medical, and scientific facets of a chapter’s topic; and “Legal Brief” boxes summarize important court rulings and the status of major legislation
* “Key Terms” are boldfaced and boxed off within the text and then defined in a glossary at the back of the book
* “Applying Major Theories” sections at the end of each chapter help students relate theories to the issues
* Unique Support Package:
An Instructor’s Manual and Testbank on CD features reading summaries, essay questions, key terms, sample syllabi, and numerous test questions
“The first two chapters are wonderful for providing background on some basic philosophical tools, ethical concepts, theories, and principles. Each subsequent chapter has clear, useful introductions and well-placed pedagogical tools highlighting important classic cases, legal briefs, and more.”–Sara Schuman, Eastern Michigan University and Washtenaw Community College
“The text is well designed, accessible, and a good combination of philosophical readings with feet-on-the-ground cases that are so important for teaching clinical students. It is less expensive than its comparators without sacrificing quality.”–Stephen Hanson, University of Louisville
About the Author
Lewis Vaughn is the author or coauthor of several books, including Philosophy Here and Now: Powerful Ideas in Everyday Life (2012), Contemporary Moral Arguments, Second Edition (2012), The Power of Critical Thinking, Fourth Edition (2012), and Great Philosophical Arguments (2011), all published by Oxford University Press.
I read some of the chapters but didn’t need it for class. It was easy to rent and delivered in very good condition. Return was easy too.
Product Details :
- Paperback: 768 pages
- Publisher: Oxford University Press, USA; 2nd edition (September 12, 2012)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0199796238
- ISBN-13: 978-0199796236
- Product Dimensions: 1.1 x 7.4 x 9.1 inches