Covering all the major approaches to counseling children and adolescents—including psychodynamic, Adlerian, person-centered, cognitive-behavioral, rational-emotive, reality therapy, solution focused, and family systems—Counseling and Psychotherapy with Children and Adolescents, Fourth Edition equips you to become familiar with the latest thinking and practice in counseling and psychotherapeutic interventions with children and adolescents.
From the Back Cover
Utilizing an accessible, illustrative, and comparative format, this book features contributions by an international panel of renowned clinicians and covers:
- A multicultural perspective on counseling
- A new chapter on solution-focused approaches
- New coverage of play therapy
- Expanded coverage of cognitive and behavioral approaches
- The inclusion of specific skills and strategies for use with both individual students and groups in school settings
- Discussion of individuals and families in clinical treatment
- Techniques for counseling children and adolescents with disabilities
- Expert information on ethical and legal issues involved with treating children and adolescents
About the Author
H. THOMPSON PROUT, PhD, is a Professor of Educational and Counseling Psychology at the University of Kentucky College of Education.
DOUGLAS T. BROWN, PhD, is Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs at James Madison University in Harrisonburg, Virginia.
I got this book because of my graduate class …i’m getting my master’s in mental health counseling. I like this book as it gives a good overview of hte major theories of counseling (CBT, REBT, Reality Therapy, Person Centered ADlerian, etc) and then discusses how to apply for children and Adolescents. Also gives input on empirical studies, family therapy and group therapy. Solid foundational book. I also like the the reference section and biblography it gives so you can buy any of hte books in the specific theories.
Product Details :
- Hardcover: 480 pages
- Publisher: Wiley; 4 edition (February 2, 2007)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0471770914
- ISBN-13: 978-0471770916
- Product Dimensions: 9.9 x 7.3 x 1.5 inches