This highly respected, market-leading textbook on learning theories applied to education prepares pre-service teachers and other educators with a unique and meaningful learning experience. The sixth edition of Human Learning covers a broad-range of learning theories and key perspectives on learning related to education, including: behaviorist, cognitive, social cognitive, contextual, and developmental theories, always highlighting relationships between concepts. Additionally, the text details associationistic processes (e.g., classical and instrumental conditioning), and more complex and distinctly human processes (e.g. metacognition, self-regulated learning, critical thinking). Every chapter features key pedagogical concepts with specific applications to classroom practice, numerous concrete examples that illustrate key concepts, principles, and recommendations and dozens of proven examples help make the fundamentals of these theories comprehensible to students with little or no prior coursework in psychology.
Significant updates to this textbook include: important updates to reflect the most current research and new theories in the field, expansion of the chapter on cognition and memory, re-organization of Piaget and Vygotsky content into two separate chapters, a core section on teaching critical thinking skills, and the discussion of technology-based instructed has been significantly revised and expanded in this edition.
Jeanne Ellis Ormrod often receives mail from students who have gone out of their way to let her know how much her books have impacted their academic careers. Here are just a couple of quotes Jeanne Ormrod has recently received.
“I have NEVER written to a texbook writer in all my years (20+) of attending college, but I have to tell you that your textbook was excellent! I read the entire thing, and I just want to thank you for making the material so personal that it was not only interesting, but easy to comprehend and absord! You are awesome! Had to tell you that! Keep up the good work!”
“The way that you relate almost every topic to a situation that is graspable to anybody makes it exciting to read. I even read the chapters that were left out of the curriculum, something I haven’t done in years! (I started studying in 2002). So, with this, I would like to thank you for writing a book that has opened my once closed mind. I passed all my classes last semester, without you and your fantastic teaching device I do not think I would have gotten back on my feet again, I see the light in the end of the academic tunnel now.”
From the Back Cover
The sixth edition of market-leader, Human Learning, features the most up-to-date research and practice in the field of learning applied to education today. Best-selling author, Jeanne E. Ormrod’s hallmark clear and engaging writing style remains as captivating as ever. Every chapter features key pedagogical concepts with specific applications to classroom practice, numerous concrete examples illustrating key concepts, principles, and recommendations, and dozens of proven examples to help make the fundamentals of these theories comprehensible to students with little or no prior coursework in psychology. The unique combination of core content, anecdotes, and personal stories come together in an appealing manner, in such a way that will engage its readers at every step, keep them reading all the way through.
Key content and changes:
· Covers a broad-range of learning theories: behaviorist views of learning; social cognitive theory; cognitive views of learning; developmental perspectives on learning; complex learning and cognition including metacognition, transfer, and social processes in knowledge construction; motivation and affect related to learning; associationistic processes; and more complex and distinctly human processes.
· Teaching Implications in every chapter promote an ease of transfer from theory and research into practice.
· Significant updates that reflect the most current research and new theories in the field
· Expansion of the chapter on cognition and memory
· Re-organization of Piaget and Vygotsky content into two separate chapters
· A core section on teaching critical thinking skills
· Discussion of technology-based instructed has been significantly revised and expanded in this edition.
Product Details :
- Hardcover: 624 pages
- Publisher: Pearson; 6 edition (September 24, 2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0132595184
- ISBN-13: 978-0132595186
- Product Dimensions: 9.2 x 7.4 x 1 inches