Covering the full spectrum of health conditions seen in the primary care of children, Pediatric Primary Care, 5th Edition emphasizes both prevention and management from the unique perspective of the Nurse Practitioner. Written by an expert editor/contributor team, it provides in-depth, evidence-based guidance for assessing and managing health problems in children from infancy through adolescence. Other key topics include developmental theory, the health status of children today, issues of daily living, and cultural considerations.
- Four-part organization includes an introductory unit, plus units on child development, the health management of children, and diseases and disorders common to childhood.
UNIQUE! Functional health patterns framework in Unit Three provides a lens for discussing health promotion through the various components of healthy living.
- UNIQUE! ICD framework in Unit Four addresses the classification used to code diseases in both hospital and outpatient settings.
- UNIQUE! Practice management chapter provides need-to-know information on managing a private healthcare practice, including issues of productivity, compliance with applicable laws, quality-of-care indicators, and successful business practices.
- UNIQUE! Environmental health chapter offers evidence-based content on the effects of environmental toxicants, such as tobacco smoke, heavy metals, and air pollutants.
- An 8-page color insert presents over 40 photos that visually demonstrate key assessment findings for ear, skin, and other conditions.
- NEW! Pediatric Pain Management chapter addresses the increased recognition of pain as the “fifth vital sign” with expanded coverage of acute and chronic pain management in children.
- Extensively revised and updated genetics chapter presents a new paradigm for addressing genetic considerations in clinical practice, including an introduction to epigenetics.
- Increased emphasis on health disparities explores the growing health disparities among children in the U.S and worldwide and provides strategies to help patients and parents gain accessibility to health care resources.
- NEW! Content on implementing a “medical home” explores the trend toward family-centered coordinated health care and fosters appropriate treatment for children with chronic disease.
- NEW! Updated coverage takes a more global approach, exploring the health status of children outside the U.S.
- Expanded imaging content offers valuable guidance on using various imaging modalities, including how to prepare the child for diagnostics.
About the Author
Associate Professor Emeritus, School of Nursing, University of Portland, Portland, Oregon; Professor, Retired, Schoold of Nursing, Samuel Merritt College, Oakland, California.
I was so excited to receive this book due to the other reviews; however, I’ve been disappointed. Some treatments and management of disease are somewhat covered; others…not so much. While reading through the chapters, I often become frustrated due to the lack of information. Perhaps the authors are just avoiding a lot of changes in future volumes due to frequent changes in standards of care, which I understand, but it still should be part of the book. Several of my fellow classmates have been frustrated for the exact same reasons I’ve described. I need a book that will give me much better treatment guidelines, standards of care, and management tools. This one falls short of my needs.
Great product, but I would have preferred to have gotten the written text. It is helpful and easy to have electronic version, but sometimes it’s not as accessible when thinking about flipping through the pages to see what’s contained.
Good information and easy to read. It’s also easy to find what you’re looking for. It would be helpful if these texts were downloadable to be able to take to clinical.
One of the better text books I’ve used in my FNP program. The pages are a tan color though. I rented the book and it had horrid pen markings all over and many highlights as well. I hope it was assessed before being sent out to me.
Product Details :
- Series: Burns, Pediatric Primary Care
- Hardcover: 1288 pages
- Publisher: Saunders; 5 edition (March 9, 2012)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0323080243
- ISBN-13: 978-0323080248
- Product Dimensions: 1.9 x 9 x 11.3 inches