Pfenninger and Fowler’s Procedures for Primary Care, 3rd Edition is a comprehensive, “how-to” resource offering step-by-step strategies for nearly every medical procedure that can be performed in an office, hospital, or emergency care facility by primary care clinicians. Designed for everyday practice, the outline format allows speedy reference while the detailed text and clear illustrations guide you through each procedure. The new edition of this best-selling book features full-color illustrations and easy access to the complete contents and illustrations, patient forms, and more online at www.expertconsult.com.
- Understand how to proceed, step by step, thanks to detailed text and illustrations.
- Locate critical information at a glance with numerous boxes and tables.
- Use the book for years with minimal wear and tear thanks to its sturdy cover.
- Patient education handouts to educate, save time, and reduce liability
- Coding guidelines included
- This best selling text now includes full-color photos and new sections on Aesthetic and Hospitalist Procedures in addition to an update of all the previous procedures discussed in prior editions!
- Access the complete contents and illustrations online, download patient education handouts and consent forms, view lists of device manufacturers, and more at www.expertconsult.com.
- Offer your patients a variety of cosmetic procedures using lasers and pulsed-light devices (including individual chapters on procedures for hair removal, photorejuvenation, skin tightening and skin resurfacing, and tattoo removal), and botulinum toxin, as well as new coverage of cosmeceutical skin care, tissue fillers, and photodynamic therapy.
- Master new procedures such as maggot treatment for chronic ulcers, endovenous vein closure, stress echo, insertion of the contraceptive capsule (Implanon) and tubal implant (Essure), musculoskeletal ultrasound, no-needle/no-scalpel vasectomy, procedures to treat acute headaches, and more.
- Don’t worry! All the more basic office procedures are still included…with improved and updated discussions!
Pfenninger and Fowler provide the latest and most comprehensive information on medical procedures that allow primary care physicians to more effectively treat their patients.
I purchased this book based on excellent reviews on Amazon. I was disappointed. The book covers a lot of material, much of it of little or no interest to most of primary care doctors. For example it describes blepharoplasty and EGD, and a lot of similar procedures that most of PCPs refer to specialists. At the same time most of the procedure descriptions are covered very superficially, providing very few details, and not really useful for someone who is trying to learn procedures. Photos are of very poor quality, and are not helpful. The big drawback for a procedure book is the absence of DVD demonstrating procedures. Considering its huge volume, I decided it is worth the price I paid, and I decided to keep it. But I wish the authors devoted more space to relevant procedures performed by most PCPs and added good quality photos and DVD to help understand procedures.
Excellent resource but defective index that stops in the F’s, pg 1708. At least the copy I received from Amazon had this defect. Publication date is 2011, I am surprised this hasn’t been addressed. For a text in excess of $120 I would expect a more polished product.
Good reference book for most outpatient procedures. For primary care physicians it is a very valuable resource. Most of the step by step instructions are described in detailed with pictures. Some procedure descriptions are not covered very detailed, and may not be really useful for someone who is trying to learn procedures. Overall a good book.
Very useful in the primary care setting. There are step by step guidelines about how to do pretty much any procedure that you might need to do in the office.
I would like nothing more than to give this book 5 stars. And for its content, I can find no flaws. It is a well written book that is really the Gold standard for any office.
So why only 3 stars? Well, I found my copy missing several pages near the end. Something I didn’t find out until about a year after I purchased it and began to look up a procedure. If the book was $30, I probably wouldn’t have cared, but it was well over $100 and a core book. Thus it’s 5 Stars for content and 1 off for whatever processing errors took place in the production of the book.
Product Details :
- Series: Pfenninger, Pfenniger and Fowler’s Procedures for Primary Care, Expert Consult
- Hardcover: 1776 pages
- Publisher: Saunders; 3 edition (October 7, 2010)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0323052673
- ISBN-13: 978-0323052672
- Product Dimensions: 2.7 x 8.9 x 11.3 inches