Written by and for nurse practitioners, and also suitable for physician’s assistants, Pharmacology for the Primary Care Provider, 4th Edition focuses on what you need to know to safely and effectively prescribe drugs for primary care. An emphasis on patient teaching helps you gain patient adherence to prescribed drug regimens, and guidelines for health promotion help in maintaining and improving your patients’ health. Now in full color, this edition expands the book’s emphasis on the QSEN priorities of safety and evidence-based practice, and adds coverage of new drugs, new drug classes, and new therapeutic drug uses. Written by leading nurse practitioner authorities Marilyn Winterton Edmunds and Maren Stewart Mayhew, Pharmacology for the Primary Care Provider teaches principles of pharmacotherapeutics using today’s most commonly used drugs.
- A Key Drugs focus highlights the most commonly used and most representative drugs of each major drug class – with particular emphasis on the top 100 most commonly prescribed drugs.
- Emphasis on patient teaching helps you communicate with patients and family caregivers to promote adherence to the drug regimen.
- Emphasis on health promotion describes how to help patients stay well and improve their health, including coverage of immunizations and biologicals, vitamins, weight management, and smoking cessation.
- Evidence-Based Decision-Making and Treatment Guidelines chapter (11) provides practical guidelines for using the best current research evidence to make decisions about the care of individual patients.
- Extensive coverage of drug therapy for special populations such as geriatric and pediatric patients includes considerations related to age, pregnancy, race, and other factors.
- UNIQUE! Coverage of prescriptive practice includes topics such as prescriptive authority, role implementation, and the role of nurses (NPs, CNMs, CRNAs, and CNSs) and physician assistants in writing prescriptions.
- NEW! Full-color design and illustrations highlight the most important content.
- DRUG UPDATES reflect the latest FDA-approved drugs, drug classes, and therapeutic uses.
- Expanded emphasis on the QSEN priorities of safety and evidence-based practice helps you eliminate drug prescribing errors with color-highlighted Safety Alerts! and NEW Clinical Practice Alerts!
- NEW section on male hormone replacement therapies adds coverage of men to that for women.
- Updated evidence-based prescribing information reflects the latest national clinical practice guidelines and evidence-based treatment guidelines, including the latest clinical treatment guidelines for diabetes.
- NEW! Complementary and Alternative Products tables highlight interactions with drugs, and are emphasized with a distinctive icon.
- Updated Drug Overview tables are enhanced with color as well as Top 100 icons that highlight the most commonly prescribed drugs.
I highly recommend this book. The explanations are easy to understand and the chapters are divided in a way that makes sense. My only complaint is the pages of the book are very flimsy. I ended up buying it again in an electronic version because I did not care for the quality of the paper back.
Product Details :
- Series: Edmunds, Pharmacology for the Primary Care Provider
- Paperback: 880 pages
- Publisher: Mosby; 4 edition (July 15, 2013)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0323087906
- ISBN-13: 978-0323087902
- Product Dimensions: 8.7 x 11 inches