Comprehensive yet accessible, this text provides a practical introduction to the skills, attitudes, and methods required to assess the worth and value of human services offered in public and private organizations in a wide range of fields. Students are introduced to the need for such activities, the methods for carrying out evaluations, and the essential steps in organizing findings into reports. The text focuses on the work of people who are closely associated with the service to be evaluated, and is designed to help program planners, developers, and evaluators to work with program staff members who might be threatened by program evaluation.
From the Publisher
From the Back Cover
Posavac and Carey provide a comprehensive, but accessible, introduction to the field of program evaluation featuring methods needed to evaluate programs offered in public and private mental health, educational, health care, criminal justice, and human resource organizations. By adopting a flexible philosophy of evaluation, the authors demonstrate how program evaluation can be applied to answer a wide variety of questions in many different settings. The sixth edition includes case studies of completed program evaluations and sketches of the careers of program evaluators to help readers develop an appreciation of the applicability of evaluation methods.
The authors stress the importance of working with representatives of all groups affected by a program, whether they be program staff or managers, recipients. or people providing financial or moral support. The Improvement-Focused Model of Evaluation can be used to include many people in the evaluation process. The teat shows that the application of program evaluation serves to contribute to making society more effective, just, and healthy.
Sixth Edition Highlights
- Strong emphasis on keeping evaluations focused on contributing to program improvement
- Greater emphasis on the value of clarifying the conceptual foundation of programs to be evaluated
- Additional illustrations of statistical techniques useful in program evaluation
- Updated citations and suggestions for further study
- Guidance for obtaining information from sources available on the Internet
Product Details :
- Hardcover: 336 pages
- Publisher: Pearson; 8 edition (July 14, 2010)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0205804977
- ISBN-13: 978-0205804979
- Product Dimensions: 9.1 x 6.1 x 0.7 inches