Get the most from your study time…and experience a realistic USMLE simulation! Rapid Review Pathology, by Edward F. Goljan, MD, makes it easy for you to master all of the pathology material covered on the USMLE Step 1. It combines an updated outline-format review of key concepts and hundreds of full-color images and margin notes, PLUS more than 400 USMLE-style online questions! Get all the practice you need to succeed on the USMLE!
- Review all the information you need to know quickly and easily with a user-friendly, two-color outline format that includes High-Yield Margin Notes and Key Points.
- Practice for the USMLE with the included access to online USMLE sample questions and full rationales.
- Profit from the guidance of Dr. Edward Goljan, a well-known author of medical review books, who reviewed and edited every question.
- Visualize key pathologic concepts and conditions with over 1,000 full-color images, completely reviewed and updated for this new edition.
“Each chapter is packed with information. As well as the bullet-point formatted text, the authors frequently use non-fussy, two-tone tables to provide more in-depth information on single topics…In conclusion, this book is a ‘high-yield’, ‘rapid review’ of pathology packed with information in a well-presented, concise format. I would recommend it to final year students or junior doctors as a revision tool.” The Bulletin, October 2010, Review of the 2nd edition
Huge improvement over the 3rd edition. 200 pages more than the 3rd edition, but more readable in my opinion, yes I bought the 3rd edition last year, and I had to shell out another $35 for this edition, but what is $35 to one of the most important Step 1 resources? I’m glad I got it.
I have both the 3rd edition revised reprint and the 4th edition so this review it’s mainly intended to highlight the differences between the two.
They’re both excellent books and if you’ve ever read Goljan, you know what to expect. As for the differences:
1. The book is longer. By about ~150-200 pages. That may not be a good thing depending on the type of person you are and the review of pathology you want. But I find it a bit more comprehensive in explaining concepts.
What is in the additional pages? Most of the addition from what I can tell and according to Goljan’s acknowledgments in the cover is “more high-yeild information and photographs than in previous editions.” The pictures you’ll notice right off the bat. There are several pictures in all corners better displaying things I had to google or reference in the past. Not really a game changer, but it makes the book feel more complete.
2. Most notable, the little blurbs he has an the sides that summarize high-yeild concepts have been increased by 1.5-2x fold. It’s really good if you’re like myself and go back to review those concepts to make sure you got what you wanted from chapter (and your professors in year 1 tested from those blurbs). But at the same time, they become too cluttered and in a way, they subtract rather than add.
Would I recommend an upgrade? Up to your style really. I own Harrison’s and read that to reference things. I prefer a more dense and complete book so I really like the changes in 4th edition of this book. If you prefer shorter reviews and limited in time, maybe the 3rd is better for you? But then again, you’d be missing out on the pictures that highlight some of the pathology.
The only thing I’m sad about was that I had taken notes from watching relevant Pathoma videos during first year into Goljan’s 3rd edition. But I was planning to rewatch the videos anyhow, so it’s another way to review the material.
It is a great book for the basics of pathology if it is combined with kaplan pathology although it is twice informative than kaplan but kaplan is easy to read initially to put a base and complete the chapter.
It is 2014 edition ships faster than expected as a pre-order book.
I will give the publisher and the author 5 stars and they actually worth more.
Lovely book and shipment so 5+ stars to Lovely Amazon
Product Details :
- Series: Rapid Review
- Paperback: 784 pages
- Publisher: Saunders; 4 edition (June 21, 2013)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0323087876
- ISBN-13: 978-0323087872
- Product Dimensions: 1 x 8.5 x 11 inches