Take your first step toward a successful career in medical coding with in-depth coverage from the most trusted name in coding education! Carol J. Buck’s Step-by-Step Medical Coding, 2014 Edition is a practical, easy-to-use resource that shows you exactly how to code using all current coding systems. Explanations of coding concepts are followed by practice exercises to reinforce your understanding. In addition to coverage of reimbursement, ICD-9-CM, CPT, HCPCS, and inpatient coding, this edition provides complete coverage of the ICD-10-CM diagnosis coding system in preparation for the upcoming ICD-10 transition. No other text on the market so thoroughly covers all coding sets in one source!
- Over 500 illustrations of medical procedures and conditions help you understand the services being coded.
- Real-life coding reports simulate the reports you will encounter as a coder and help you apply coding principles to actual cases.
- Complete coverage of ICD-10-CM prepares you for the upcoming transition to ICD-10.
- Dual coding addresses the transition to ICD-10 by providing coding answers in both ICD-9 and ICD-10.
- Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting boxes allow you to read the official wording for inpatient and outpatient coding alongside in-text explanations.
- From the Trenches, Coding Shots, Stop!, Caution!, Check This Out!, and CMS Rules boxes offer valuable, up-to-date tips and advice for working in today’s medical coding field.
- Exercises, Quick Checks, and Toolbox features reinforce coding rules and concepts, and emphasize key information.
- Four coding question variations develop your coding ability and critical thinking skills.
- Coder’s Index makes it easy to quickly locate specific codes.
- Updated content includes the latest coding information available, promoting accurate coding and success on the job.
- New appendix with sample Electronic Health Record (EHR) screenshots provides examples similar to the EHRs you will encounter in the workplace.
About the Author
Carol J. Buck, MS,CPC, Program Director (Retired), Medical Secretarial Programs, Northwest Technical College, East Grand Forks, MN –This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
This book is great on information and the way they explain everything. The problem is there is no answer keys on the chapter review questions. This is hard if you are doing this as a self study. You have no way of checking your answers. I had to enroll through evolve’s on line self study program to get the answers. The cost was $39.95. This on line self study is well worth the money. They ask questions that is not in the book. There is a workbook that goes with this book. The workbook is good as far as giving you practice exercises. The problem is you only get answers on the odd number questions. You have no idea if the even number questions are right.
I just got word I passed my certification examination and used this book to prepare along with the certification review. It was easy to follow and had all the answers in the back of the book. I really learned a lot.
Product Details :
- Series: Step by Step Medical Coding
- Paperback: 1008 pages
- Publisher: Saunders; 1 edition (December 26, 2013)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1455746355
- ISBN-13: 978-1455746354
- Product Dimensions: 10.8 x 8.5 x 1.6 inches