Using case studies, applied examples, original source material, and her own inimitable pedagogical style, Nancy Murdock succinctly elucidates fifteen of the most influential and ground-breaking theories of psychotherapy and counseling. With this articulate guide to counseling theory, students will grasp complicated historical theory and not only understand the historical footing and uses of each, but will learn how these theories have informed each other and contributed to modern practice, while applying it to their own professional counseling experience. Examining the historical roots, evaluations, and lasting effects of Existential, Gestalt, Behavior, Cognitive, Reality, Feminist, Family, Narrative, and Solution-Focused Therapy and much more, this text equips students with the history and application necessary to bring theory to life.
New Features Include:
- A New Chapter on Mindfulness Approaches
- Extensive Coverage of Ethics in Therapy
- Addition of Outcome and Theory-testing Research for Approaches to Therapy
- Coverage of Psychotherapy Outcome Research and Evidence-Based Treatment
- MyCounselingLab connects course content to video- and case-based real world scenarios, and provides:
- Building Counseling Skills exercises that offer opportunities for students to develop and practice skills critical to their success as professional helpers. Hints and feedback provide scaffolding and reinforce key concepts.
- Assignments & Activities assess students’ understanding of key concepts and skill development.
- Multiple-Choice Quizzes help students gauge their understanding of important topics and prepare for success on licensure examinations.
About the Author
Nancy L. Murdock, Ph.D. is Professor and Chair of the Division of Counseling and Educational Psychology at the University of Missouri-Kansas City. She has served as the Vice President for Education and Training of the Society of Counseling Psychology and is a past chair of the Council of Counseling Psychology Training Programs. Her research interests include professional issues, counseling/supervision process, and family systems theory.
Product Details :
- Hardcover: 656 pages
- Publisher: Pearson; 3 edition (March 4, 2012)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0132659786
- ISBN-13: 978-0132659789
- Product Dimensions: 9.2 x 7.5 x 1 inches